A new Public Policy Polling survey of the Republican primary for Governor in Kentucky, conducted Wednesday and Thursday, finds that the race remains a toss up. All three candidates are within 3 points of each other, and many voters remain up for grabs with less than two weeks remaining until election day.
Key findings from the survey include:
-The candidates are tightly clustered with James Comer at 28%, Hal Heiner at 27%, and Matt Bevin at 25%. 20% of voters remain undecided, and beyond that 43% of voters who are currently supporting one of the candidates say they’re open to changing their minds. So that leaves only 46% of the electorate firmly committed to someone at this point, with the other 54% of voters still persuadable.
-James Comer emerges from this week still having the highest favorability rating of the three candidates. 50% of voters have a positive opinion of him to 25% with a negative one for a +25 spread. Matt Bevin at +24 (48/24) is not far behind with Hal Heiner clearly lagging the field at only +11 with 44% of voters seeing him favorably and 33% unfavorably.
-Voters think Heiner is easily running the most negative campaign of the trio. 33% think he is to only 36% who believe he is not running one. Comer (19%) and Bevin (17%) meanwhile have few voters who think they are running a negative campaign.
Bottom line there are a lot of undecideds and a lot of the support the candidates do have right now is pretty soft. That leaves the race wide open for any of the three to emerge victorious in this closing stretch.
Public Policy Polling surveyed 501 Republican primary voters on May 6th and 7th on behalf of Kentucky Family Values. The survey’s margin of error is +/-4.4%.
Full results here