-A little more than a year after gay marriage became legal in Pennsylvania, PPP finds it with a record level of support in the state. 51% of voters say they favor it, compared to only 41% who are opposed. That represents a 26 point net increase in support since just 2011 when we found only 36% of voters in support of it and 52% opposed. Among independents the numbers are 59/31 in support of gay marriage, and among voters under 45 there's 66/29 support. The only thing making the numbers remotely close overall is continued 34/56 opposition among seniors.
Even though 41% of Pennsylvanians still say they're opposed to gay marriage, only 22% claim its being legal has actually had a negative impact on their lives compared to 78% who say it's either had a positive impact on their lives or none at all. That includes 63% of Republicans who grant that it's had no ill effect on their lives.
-Kathleen Kane's poll numbers have taken a nose dive since January. Now only 21% of voters have a favorable opinion of her compared to 38% with a negative one. Feelings about Kane were much more evenly divided when we polled the state in January and found her favorability at 31/33. Voters are still relatively indecisive about whether Kane should resign *now*- 35% say she should, 25% say she shouldn't, and 40% don't have an opinion either way. But if she gets indicted 65% of voters think she should resign, and already 56% say she shouldn't run for reelection next year.
-55% of Pennsylvanians think funding levels for Amtrak should be increased to only 17% who believe they should be decreased, and 21% who think they're fine where they are now. Even among Republican voters 44% think Amtrak funding levels should be increased, while only 22% think they should be decreased.
-Increasing the minimum wage to $12 an hour is a winning issue with Pennsylvanians. 41% say they'd be more likely to vote for their state legislator if they supported that increase, while only 28% say they'd be less likely to.
-58% of voters support restoring cuts that have been made to education spending by taxing Marcellus Shale Gas Companies by 5.3%, to only 26% opposed to that proposal. It has strong support from independent voters at 61/25.
-Steelers fans outnumber Eagles fans in the state 38/32, pretty consistent with what we've found over time. Mike Tomlin's 47/27 approval rating with Steelers fans is comparable to the 50/24 he was at in January right after the season ended.